Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Aquarium Melt Down

First of all I should have known better than to listen to Petco staff since my setup has been functioning just fine for the past 12 years.  I have a 20 gallon tank, whisper filtration, under gravel filters and usual heater and gravel configuration.  Figured it could use a cleaning and new filter since it was 12 years old.  Went to store and ended up buying a new Penguin filter and talked in to removing my under gravel filters while cleaning.  I have cleaned my tank many times in the past 12 years and added fish a few times with no issues.  The fish I HAD were doing fines and the  Hypostomus plecostomus (sucker fish) was there from day one.  All have died now after daily water analysis by test strips and visits to the pet store. Now I am going back to original setup on filters but will probably leave under gravel filter out.  It was sad to watch them die and I hope the tanks gets balanced soon.
Plecostomus

4 comments:

noone said...

that is so sad! :( I guess if something works no need to change it huh? Hope you get your tank sorted out, sad that even your day one fish died...

YM said...

:( That really stinks. I'm sorry about your fish.

Echoes said...

Thanks Pop and YM. Letting water settle and balance out before populating again. Definately getting another sucker fish. That guy lasted over 12 years. YM .. thinks its okay to follow if you choose, your choice. Have a Safe and Happy Holiday to All!

Anonymous said...

J'ai appris des choses interessantes grace a vous, et vous m'avez aide a resoudre un probleme, merci.

- Daniel