Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Welcome to Phoenix

I am accustomed to visiting with the Highway Patrol or local towns police on occasion usually for speeding unfortunately. We this morning was something different.  I was just sitting at a stop light like a good citizen and saw he was checking my truck out and then pulled from right lane to far left lane behind me,  Okay what did I do now.  He followed me to a side street then lit up the lights.  The usual questions are you packing, ah no but I do have a CHL, license, registration and insurance please, here and here I said and the registration is on the windshield.  The deer in headlights look appeared.  Had to explain how in Texas and a lot of others states we have stickers and do not have cards to carry in our already massive wallets.  Asked what I did wrong and he said my personal plates were registered to a Ford not the Chevy I have owned for past three years. Explained I have had same plates for past 30 years and they stay with the car I own at that time.  More blank looks and he walked back to his vehicle with my info.  Reappeared to tell me plastic covers are not allowed in AZ which I said I was only here a few days.  He also asked if I owned a 1995 Ford? Ah yes, two suburbans and a Mercury back.  Oh guess our database is behind.  He asked me to remove my plastic lens or get a ticket so I did that right then and asked if that was a requirement to enter the state.  He laughed and said have a nice day.  The scary thing is with all the terror alerts and illegals crossing over and their database has plates tied to a car I owned 15 years back and not my current one makes you wonder how safe we really are.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Wow! That is very scary. Makes you wonder how anything gets done in law enforcement. I had an incident where we had just moved back to a town my husband grew up in and I was on my way to put in an application somewhere when I was pulled over. The officer would not tell me why I was pulled over. I knew I wasn't speeding and my car didn't have a light out so I didn't know why I was being targeted. I figured out that it was because I had out of state plates. We had only been in town for a week. I hadn't changed them yet. Needless to say, I didn't get a ticket. When I kept asking why he had pulled me over, he wouldn't answer. Then he let me go.

As much as I think that some cops don't get their due, there are some out there that ruin the whole bunch of them.

Comfortably Numb said...

Agree some are bad apples just look at the ones caught on their own videos beating the sh&t out of people. Saying that I would not want to be out on patrol with some of the pychos out there today. To much stress for a short amount of life,