Monday, October 18, 2010

"Wallstreet: Money Never Sleeps" Review

After a quick workout I think I traveled all of Scottsdale, Mesa and Tempe searching for an early movie time for Wallstreet:Money Never Sleeps". FYI the Scottsdale Fashion Mall has two Harkins theatre, one inside and one outside.  Guess which one I went to?  Scratched the inside mall one after going to wrong one and opted for Cinema 16 in Tempe only another 15 minutes (took 45 min)away in traffic. Sat down with two other people in the whole theatre and took in a disappointing sequel of the original 1987 movie Wallstreet that Michael Douglas won Best Actor for in 1988.  Michael Douglas showed his age at the onset when released from prison, then makeup took over after his comeback.  Not a big Shia LaBeouf fan and thought he could have done a better job with his character.  Frank Langella was very good but his role was cut short.  Carey Mulligan who played Winnie, Gekko's daughter I thought was very good during the emotional scenes.  Josh Brolin had a takeover bully role that was a so so  performance in my mind.  The premise of the movie is all about the collaspe of the financial market that happened a few years back with the original Wallstreet script intertwined.  The movie seemed to repeat and for a 130 minute movie it dragged on and on. Charlie Sheen aka Bud Fox from the original "Wallstreet" movie made a cameo.  The soundtrack was by David Byrne (Talking Heads) and I have heard the song on XM getting a lot of air time. In the movie I think they overplayed it by doing it every which way you can.  From my review I you can read that I did not like the movie so a thumbs down to this one and maybe 2.5 our of 5 rating.  Don't expect any awards for this one.  Just my thoughts.

No comments: