Thursday, September 23, 2010

Remembering the Lives of Loved Ones

Heading to KY this afternoon to attend BH 98 year old grandmother's funeral.  Her 55 year old cousin also passed on Sunday unexpectantly from a heart attack.  To make matters worse her 88 year old Uncle was just put in hospice this week and not expected to live much longer. All in all not a good time for BH side of the family. 
 Death is inevitable and part of our life cycle.  I prefer to remember the ones we lose to old age as they were prior to being admitted to the hospital or hospice and lying in a bed weak, frail and helpless.  Each year for past twenty plus year the family and I would trek to KY and OH to visit her grandmother for a birthday celebration of relatives in KY Then we would head to the OH farm that her Uncle owned and enjoy peaceful country living for a week or so.  Her grandmother who we called Ma Ma was a strong lady who lived in the house where she was born. Each morning around 6 AM she would rise and cook a big ole country breakfast for us.  When the kids were young they loved to play on the big hill that her house sat on.  What I loved was her good sense of humor and sitting around listening to her vivid childhood stories.  She will always be loved and missed.
BH's Uncle from her Dad's side was a grumpy old man to BH's family and her cousin's when they were growning up, so I here.  The first time I met him was when BH's Dad passed away in 1988. We hit it off at the start for some odd reason.  Guess he appreciated my help and knack for fixing things on the farm.  The family and I would spend a week to 10 days each year visiting his spacious plat an take in the peaceful surrounding for a relaxing vacation.  The kids loved to go for wagon rides with the mules and play with the all the barn cats and farm dog. They would also visit the county fair each year in town and had a blast. I would enjoy working on the farm tossing hay, mowing field or doing repairs around the house.  To say the least this was a peace of heaven each year.  He was a man of few words and could very well be perceived as a grumpy ole man sitting there on the lawn chair smoking his pipe each day.  I know deep down his heart was as big as the farm. He brought that out to my kids during our visits. I made it a point to stop by when in the area just to say hello and the past few visit have been hard with his failing health.  Tears were shed from the both of us as we said our good byes.  For that may have been the last time seeing him.  I will try and visit him again Saturday if he is still with us and not looking forward to saying my good byes for what most likely will be the last time. I outlook on life changed sometime after I lost my grandmother in the early nineties.  She was the first relative I lost and I now I value my time with close friends and relatives  and treat everyday as the last day I will see them in this life.  Ma Ma and Uncle Virg you will always be remembered and loved.

No comments: